Need to Switch Up Your Car Insurance?
How do you know if you’re getting the best auto insurance coverage for your money? Are you fully covered in case of an accident? When’s the last time you checked your coverage limits?
These are all good questions to review with your insurance agent at least annually. When it comes to protecting yourself, your family, and your personal property, nothing should be left to chance.
Life is busy and we tend to have so much on our plates. Maybe we don’t think we have time to worry about our car insurance rates. But consider this: a simple quote check can save you thousands in the long run. It only takes a few minutes!
Imagine the peace of mind of knowing you’re fully covered in case the unthinkable happens.
What is the difference between good and bad insurance?
- Coverage limits. Good insurance provides all the coverages needed to protect you in case of an accident or major catastrophe. Bad insurance is usually the minimal amount required by law but often is not enough to cover the basics.
- Family protection. If you’re in an accident and don’t have the right coverages, then you face major financial loss. What if your liability limits are too low, or if you didn’t have enough property damage to cover the other party’s vehicle damage and car rental expenses? Don’t risk losing that retirement nest egg you’ve been building for years by failing to take a few minutes to check your auto coverage.
- Vehicle coverage. No matter what the age or current value, your vehicle is an investment. If you have an accident today and your vehicle is totaled, but you didn’t have comprehensive and collision coverage, are you able to replace it out-of-pocket or pay off any existing car loan? Most people unfortunately cannot say “yes.”
What’s the biggest pain of switching insurance?
Most people think switching insurance takes too much time. In fact, they most likely will stick with their current insurance even though it’s not offering the best coverage or rates.
The reasons are fairly simple. As creatures of habit, we tend to stick with what is most comfortable and familiar. Maybe we’ve been with the same agent for years and don’t want to rock the boat by switching.
But none of this will matter if you’re in a major accident and regrettably discover you’re underinsured.
Taking a few minutes to get a price quote and educating yourself on proper coverages and rates won’t cost you anything. In fact, it could end up saving you thousands in the long run!
Understanding your policy
Collision and comprehensive (other than collision) coverages
Collision and Comprehensive (other than collision) coverages pay for damage to your automobile. You can purchase either or both of these coverages for each vehicle you own. If you have an auto loan you may be required to purchase both.
- Collision coverage insures you against damage to your vehicle caused during an accident.
- Comprehensive (other than collision) coverage insures you against all other physical damage to your car caused by such events as fire, theft, flood, and vandalism.
Collision and comprehensive (other than collision) coverage usually include a deductible, which can range from $100 to $1,000. If your car is damaged, the insurance company pays only for the damage in excess of the deductible you selected. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium.
Liability coverage pays for injuries you cause to other people and damage you cause to other people’s property when you are at fault in an automobile accident.
Medical Payments coverage
Medical Payments coverage pays medical expenses (up to a specified dollar limit) for you and passengers of your car who are injured in an automobile accident, no matter who is at fault. If you and your passengers have health Insurance, you may not need this coverage.
Personal Injury Protection
Some states require Personal Injury Protection, which is also known as No-Fault coverage. This coverage pays for things like medical and rehabilitative expenses, replacement services, and funeral expenses. It also pays for loss of income if you are injured in an auto accident and are unable to work.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage pays if you are injured by a person who is completely uninsured or doesn’t have enough liability Insurance to cover your injuries. It also covers you if you are in an accident with a hit-and-run driver.
Optional or special coverage includes extras such as towing, rental reimbursement, and roadside assistance. None of these coverages are required.
Why having the right insurance is important to our customers?
Protecting yourself and the ones you love is the most important thing you can do. But life happens and if you experience a major event, you need to make sure you’re fully covered. If your coverage is not enough to cover an accident, then you are on the hook for the rest. In fact, the other party can legally go after your assets, or worse – even part of your wages until the claim is fully paid. By having the right coverage in place, you’re taking the right steps to ensure your assets and future wages are secure.
You’ve worked hard for your family and assets, so why not take the time today to ensure they’re fully protected.
Working with a local, independent insurance agency has many perks versus trying to figure out your insurance policy by yourself and purchasing it online. Not only do independent insurance agencies represent the top insurance carriers, but we can also act as your adviser.
Thinking of Switching? (It’s Simpler than You Think!)
- Speak to your agent about your current rates and your coverage needs
- Understand your current coverage and options
- Get a price quote and compare policies
- Transfer your car insurance policy to a new company or re-up with your current insurer
- Gather your new policy documents
What About Pricing?
Yes, it’s true that higher auto insurance limits and better protection often will cost more than lower limits. But have you considered the cost of not having the right coverage in place?
We’ve all heard the expression “time is money”? When it comes to your car insurance, a few minutes of shopping around can save you a whole lot of money down the road.
Most people think the opposite and find excuses for not checking their coverage: “I’m too busy” or “My agent has my back” or “I’ll never be in an accident.”
But when it comes to protecting your family and hard-earned assets, you can’t afford to gamble. Take a few minutes today to contact us and review your insurance. We’ll help you make informed decisions about what coverage is best for you and your family – so you can have the peace of mind you deserve.